ose savoir!

Les plus grands, ce sont ceux qui ont su donner aux hommes l'espoir.

9.29.2007

Aroud Town: Part 1

Limoux. Capital of Blanquette and the Carnival! We wish you welcome to Cathare country.


Just outside the shopping center I found the second train stop in Limoux. I told you this was a small town. The train station in town is a little bigger--it at least has a building where you can buy tickets and whatnot. hah.



I'm so glad that I don't have to drive here. The round-a-bouts and intersections are SO confusing--not to mention that gas is 1 euro 60 PER LITER!

Good 'ol Murphy's stout. I knew I could count on you to make me feel at home. Hah. I found this sign on one of the cafés and it made me chuckle.

Looking accross on of the main streets at some houses that I thought were pretty. Aside from the roofs (wow that's a weird word, I had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it correctly), this doesn't look that different from East State Street.

I can't get used to how dead everything looks. It seems to me like everything is speckled with brown. It's just a different type of vegitation than I am used to, and there isn't very much grass. My guess is that it isn't that different from California or other warm regions in the US, but I don't know. All the the orange and redish stucco roofs don't help matters...it's the same color palate. I guess you never realize how rich you environment is until you leave it. I didn't, that's for sure.

Looking off toward the hills. The mountains? The Pyrenees? I'll have to ask someone.

I walked to the large shopping center on the outskirts of town on Saturday. It took me about 20-25 minutes. I stopped a couple times to take some pictures of the country side. In this one you can see the ruins of a church or a castle or something. I thought it was neat.

I'm not sure if this is a damn or what. I don't see why they would need a dam here, and it looked a little run-down. Who knows. It looked interesting so I took a picture.

Here is a picture of the river Aude that runs through my town.

This is the bank where I opened my first (and probably last) French bank account! I know, I know it doesn't seem like much compared to an American bank...but their security is much stricter. To get into the bank you have to first go through what reminds me of an airlock. There is a series of three doors beginning with the outside door. You have to enter the bank one by one by pressing a button to be buzzed in by the receptionist. Now you are in the building and have to go through two more doors using the same process to actually get into the bank where you can talk to someone and do business. It was a little confusing for me because I had never seen anything like that before. I was glad that Michel accompanied us.

1 comment:

Michael Salone said...

Well, I have to say, after seeing "0 Comments" I just had to leave one! It looks like you are exploring, discovering and enjoying your adventures. Good luck!