ose savoir!

Les plus grands, ce sont ceux qui ont su donner aux hommes l'espoir.

10.21.2007

Another dam...I think

In my exploring I ran accross a path along the Aude...I'm not sure if I was allowed to be down there, but I decided to explore anyway. It was a gorgeous day and I had plenty of time to kill. I found this dam, well at least I think it is a dam. I asked Françoise about it when we went to Montpellier for the stage and she told me that the area has a lot of flooding problems--especially in the Spring when all the snow melts in the mountains. (At least, that's what I think she said...but my French comprehension is still sketchy in places, especially when new vocabulary is involved)

But then my common sense cut in...it can't be a dam if water is flowing over it, can it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

In short, I have no idea what this is or what purpose it serves...but if you recognize it and know the answer, please tell me!

A lovely photo.

1 comment:

Nicky @ Eat, Run, Read said...

Don't dams just control how much water gets in? I think they have the option to keep all of it out, but they also can let a specific amount through.